Suranaree University of Technology was established as the public autonomous university, outside the civil service system, under the supervision of the Royal Thai Government, promoting administrative proficiency and efficiency in its operations; a scholarly community consisting of the learned and the learners, as well as all kinds of knowledge in Arts, Sciences and Technology, beneficial to both individuals and society. This university firmly pledges to maintain excellence in all of its commitments; to advance the quality of life; to seek applications in the collection and creation of knowledge, moral ethos and wisdom, for the eternal growth of humankind.
Suranaree University of Technology is an excellent learning institution of science and technology and a reliable pillar of society.
Suranaree University of Technology, specializing in science and technology, is determined to create research output; to adapt, transfer and advance technology for the sustainable progress of society; producing graduates with quality, knowledge and integrity leading to wisdom; providing academic services to the public; and to nourish the arts and culture by adhering to the principles of academic freedom and good governance in administration.
1. To train high-level scientific and technological personnel to meet the national needs for development;
2. To engage in research for the creation and enhancement of knowledge, and to utilize the results for national development;
3. To adapt, transfer, and advance appropriate technology to increase Thailand’s technological self-reliance;
4. To provide academic services to the people and both public and private organizations;
5. To nourish the arts and culture on the national and regional levels, especially the arts and culture of the Northeast.
Suranaree University of Technology has five principal mission
1. The University’s education is recognized nationally and internationally.
2. The University is recognized as a research university, nationally and internationally.
3. The University is recognized by society with reliance on science and technology.
4. The Community and locals get to know the culture and the preservation of the arts.
5. The University’s high capacity to manage the identity of the university.
Strategies for Development
SUT’ 11th Developmental Plan (2012 - 2016) with five strategies as follows:
1. Quality education management of international standard
2. Strengthening research capabilities for national and international recognition
3. Strengthening capabilities of adapting transferring and developing technology academic service for the benefits of society
4 Promotion of local arts and cultures in the Northeast of Thailand
5. Highly efficient management and administration under the Identity Protectionand Corporate Governance of the university
The symbols of Suranaree University of Technology (SUT) are the University Seal, the University Colors, and the University Tree.
• The center of the seal is Thao Suranaree, the highly revered national heroine from the Northeastern region of Thailand, with four laterally connecting and overlapping concave arcs forming a dome, with stylized leaves and machine cogs underneath her.
• Thao Suranaree, the center of the Seal, conveys SUT’s philosophy and principal missions, stressing respect and faith in Thao Suranaree as a National Heroine.
• The four laterally connecting and overlapping concave arcs forming a dome over the statue, connotes continuous technological success and unceasing progress.
• Stylized leaves and machine cogs underneath the statue symbolize agriculture and industry.
The SUT colors are orange and gold. Orange is the emblematic color of the Nakhon Ratchasima Province, after the color of its Scout Corps bestowed by HM King Rama VI. The color orange is also the color for Thursday, traditionally recognized in Thai education as Teacher’s Day. Gold signifies prosperity, glory, and faith.
SUT’s tree is Radermachera ignea (Kurz) Steenis whose common Thai name is “Peep Thong” and whose flowers are orange, one of SUT’s colors. Requiring little care, the tree grows quickly even in unfavorable soil or climatic conditions. With its large canopy, the tree symbolizes simplicity, endurance, progress, and tranquility.