University of Airlangga, Indonesia invited SUT’s studern and academic staff to joint ASEA-UNINET International Community Outreach Program: Life Below Water which will be held from 15-21 December 2019 at Universitas Airlangga, Surabaya and Diponegoro University, Semarang, Indonesia.
Following the theme “LIFE BELOW WATER”, the upcoming program will bring together 20 students and 10 academic staff from all over the world, this time with a focus on marine product management.
Adapted from Goal 14.7 of Sustainable Development Goals, Life Below Water, participants are expected to educate the coastal communities about increasing the economic benefits from the sustainable use of marine resources, especially clams, including through sustainable management of fisheries, aquaculture and tourism. Participants, both academic staff and students, will have a working session and community services in both Surabaya and Semarang. The goal is to make the community able to process the clams into products with higher added value. Both academic staff and students are expected to encourage coastal communities to discuss and reflect with them, to gain experience in a diverse range of knowledge.
Who should apply?
This program is open to undergraduates and academic staff who meet the following criteria:
- Have an interest in marine product management
- Able to communicate effectively in English,
- Passionate about protecting their country’s environment, and
- Be nominated/recommended by the home university.
For ASEA-UNINET universities member, the program fee is waived which covers the following expenses:
- Meals during the program,
- Local transportation during the program,
- Airport transfer service during the program, and
- Accommodation during the program.
If applicable, the following expenses will be paid by the students:
- Round-trip Flight to Indonesia,
- International travel/health insurance
- Passport/visa application fee, and
- Personal expenses.